Introduction of Cationic Polyacrylamide
Cationic polyacrylamide (abbreviated as CPAM) is deemed as a kind of flocculant and is widely used in wastewater pretreatment and waste activated sludge dewatering as well as deteriorated methane production during anaerobic digestion of sludge.
Structure of Repeat Unit
Special Features of Cationic Polyacrylamide
Cationic polyacrylamide is a significant flocculant and it has high molecular weight and electropositivity which consists of cationic functional groups, such as acryloxyethyltrimethyl ammonium chloride (DAC), methacryloxyethyltrimethyl ammonium chloride (DMC), dimethyldiallyammonium chloride (DMDAAC), etc.
The high molecular weight cationic polyacrylamide can produce more stretched molecular chains in water, thus improving the adsorption and bridging ability to flocculate suspended particles. In addition, the residual negative charge is balanced by the cations between the chains, which also plays a role in fixing the chains.
Applications of Cationic Polyacrylamide
1. Cationic polyacrylamide can be used for the treatment of sewage and organic wastewater in different industries, such as ethanol, paper, agricultural plants, sugaring, forage, printing, dyeing, leather, oily wastewater, textiles, etc.
2. Cationic polyacrylamid is regarded as an important retention agent, filter agent as well as drying and strengthening agent in paper making industry. In addition it has high flocculant effect in the process of deinking.
3. Cationic polyacrylamid can be served as the clarifier of wastewater in mining and coal washing industry, on the other hand, it is used for the treatment of municipal sewage, sludge dewatering in poultry, meat as well as food processing.
4. Cationic polyacrylamid can not only be utilized as the polyacrylamide for the running water treatment out of river sources, but also can be used as oil chemical assistants, such as anti-clay swelling agent, acidic gelatinizer, etc.
5. Cationic polyacrylamid is a primary organic coagulant, which can neutralize negatively charged colloidal particles, thus inducing flocculation and sedimentation and reducing sludge volume.
6. In paper mills, it is mainly used to enhance retention and dewatering.
7. Cationic polyacrylamides is also an important gel electrophoresis for macromolecular separation. When an electric field is applied to a PAM gel, a charged protein or nucleic acid migrates across the gel toward the positive electrode.
Post time: Sep-15-2020